Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Step Up!


 There are plenty variations to do the step exercise on a platform at the gym.  I use the ones to the right that offer a low, medium, and high platform. Personally, being 5'3" and a half (I always add that extra half! Why can't I be 5'4"!), the high platform is too high for me.  My routine is starting on the low platform at a fast pace with 8 lb. dumbbells. Use whatever weight you feel comfortable with.

I start off with a jog on the low platform, quickly shifting my feet up and down, while keeping the weights straight, the same way my arms would be facing as if I were running.

Once I complete that for a minute, I move onto the medium platform.  This one I approach at a slower pace, for it is harder to step up onto. I start off with bicep curls as I reach the top, then I use my opposite leg to step down. I then use the opposite leg I used to step up, and perform the same exercise for 8 reps.

I go back to the shorter platform and do the same exercise as previously for 30 seconds.

Then I go to the medium one and do the same thing with my legs, but squat while bending my arms with the weights in hand, and lift the weights above my head holding them vertically, then come back down and repeat 8 times.

Back to the short one for 30 seconds.

Up to the medium, putting one arm up, the opposite to the side, like an "L" formation.

Short platform for 30 seconds.

Medium platform while performing what the girl below is doing. Notice how her weights are horizontal.

Low platform for 45 seconds.

If you don't have a watch or don't want to check your phone because it slows you down, no problem. You can approximate the time lengths for the low platform exercise.

This is a calorie-blasting workout and works various body parts!

Some prefer to have a barbell on their backs while doing the step-up, which is also a great exercise.
The reason I don't do that is because I prefer to do squats on the ground with the barbell against my back and deadlifts. If you're a beginner, don't try the barbell on your back while doing the step-up right away. it is more dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment